Seasonal Employment: Spring and Fall
Our School Outdoor Education program is designed to work in cooperation with teachers and parents for the benefit of the students, using an experiential style of learning in the outdoors. The OE staff facilitates each group’s experience by guiding them through the different programs on offer. Our goal is to create a fun, positive work environment where staff members enjoy working for each other in order to provide each school group with the best possible experience. We are looking for individuals that excel around others, who are passionate about leading children and helping them grow.
- College age or older.
working with youth.
- Experience leading groups.
- Emotional maturity,
good moral character and integrity.
- A love for the outdoors.
- Interest and
experience in education.
- Willingness to work with other staff.
- Enthusiasm and
- Must be physically
- lead hikes up and down rugged trails.
- lift and lower students from heights.
- lift and carry logs and other heavy objects.
- Become thoroughly familiar with and understand the purpose of each learning activity in each program.
- Facilitate the experience of schools through:
- Help in preparing outdoor education materials and areas prior to group arrival.
- Assist in opening and closing ceremonies for the program.
- Serve as a leader and instructor with the trail group of 8 - 12 students that you are assigned.
- Help with leadership and supervision of flag ceremonies, dining room procedures, evening campfires and recreation.
- Be a patient, supportive role model and to help the youngsters in your care gain confidence and increased self-esteem.
- Relate to the adults that are with the group in a helpful, mature attitude that shows Camp Tecumseh in the best possible light.
- Be prepared and flexible enough to assist in any area of service at particularly busy transitions between schools.
- Be prepared to assist in maintenance, office, or other tasks suited to the best interest of Camp.
The position of Outdoor Education Leader is a paid position ($270 per week) plus room and board available for individuals. This position could also serve as an Internship or Practicum experience for college credit. Board provided only when meals are served in camp. Extensive formal and on the job training is provided for each seasonal program as well as the role and responsibilities of being an Outdoor Educator at Camp Tecumseh.
If you would like more information about the position, please call or email Tom Elliott. 765 564 2898 or Tome@camptecumseh.org
|"Working at Camp Tecumseh was a dream of mine since I first came here as a 2nd grader for Outdoor Education. As a staff member now, I love to see students learning to appreciate the outdoors, but more importantly how they grow to appreciate the different strengths of their peers. This is the most rewarding part of the job."
- Eric “Everest” Glanders