In July of 1929, Esther Beard attended Camp Tecumseh. 87 years later, her souvenir postcards are handled by her great grandson, Matt Moller. On a recent Outdoor Education Trip with his daughter with Hazel Dell Elementary School, Matt shared his Great Grandmother’s postcards with us. Take a look at camp life from 1929.
Girls gather around the flagpole.
Before the lake and the pools, campers swam in the Tippecanoe River.
Camp Tecumseh has never been a single gender camp. However, girls and boys would attend camp at different times.
The original River Village Lodge. Instead of cabins, campers stayed in platform tents.
While the Barbara Kampen chapel features state of the art audio and video technology, a large stage for performances, a beautiful stained glass cross, and a stone finish, a few things remain the same: it still overlooks the Tippecanoe River, and it’s still one of our campers favorite spots.
Chief Raise Wings “Buck”.